Re: Mea Culpa - Looking for an old, humorous warning sign

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

Von: Tosh Ushino, CHP <rad_chp@YAHOO.COM>

An: 'radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu' <radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu>

Datum: Dienstag, 16. April 2002 21:55

Betreff: Mea Culpa - Looking for an old, humorous warning sign

>Subject: Mea Culpa - Looking for an old, humorous

>warning sign

>RADSAFERS,

>It occurred to me after I sent out my request that

>the reason we don't see the sign I was asking for

>anymore is because it is politically incorrect. My

>apologies to everyone. Of all the people, I should be

>more sensitive about anything that makes fun of other

>people's ethnic or national origin, or religion.

Tosh,

I cannot see any political incorrectness in your request. Because you cited

a sign with a German inscription? I am not German, but Austrian, but anyway

my mother language is German like of more than 95 % of Austrians. I am not

offended at all and I cannot see that you made fun of any ethnic or national

origin, or religion.

I can only comment, that the inscription you mentioned does not resemble any

German words I know.... If you find out about this sign, please inform me, I

too like humorous warning signs, because I share your opinion that they are

more effective than the signs "It is forbidden according to law xxxx,

paragraph yyyy of the zzzz state to.......".

When I worked at Atominstitute in Vienna for my PhD always simple equipment

like squeezing bottles with distilled water or acetone were "borrowed" by

collegues from the physical departments in my absence and they always forgot

to give them back. Then, being a chemist, I changed the labels for water to

"dihydrogenoxide" and for acetone to "dimethylketone" - and never again a

bottle vanished......

Best regards,

FRanz