Re: Public Trust and Other Dreams

Earlier this morning, Russ Johnson wrote (snipped):

"I will believe in nuclear power when two things have been done. First,

nuclear reactors are extremely inefficient. Up to 90% of the energy

produced is dumped as radiant heat with only 10-15% utilized for power

conversion. Recycle some of that lost energy to get "more bang from the

buck"."

I'm not sure where you got that information, but my understanding is that

the typical commercial light water nuclear plant is about 30-32% efficient

(thermal cycle).  That's how you get ~1100 MWe out of a ~3800 MWt plant.

This is somewhat less than the newer gas-fired power plants, but pretty

close to steam electric plants powered by coal.  So the discharged (waste)

heat is around 70% max.  Lots of lost energy but common for all "thermal

processes."  As Isaac Newton once said "there is no free lunch."  Or

something like that in a law he once wrote.

Maybe I misunderstood your comment and maybe someone's already responded (I

get the digest version, delayed).

Eric M. Goldin, CHP  (native of Las Cruces, by the way)

<goldinem@songs.sce.com>