South Carolina

Hello all -

I happen to be physically resident in South Carolina

(arrrgh!), even though I am _not_ an expert on this

issue or on reactor fuel.  The comments below are

basically from the _Greenville News_.

Supposedly, this is a dispute over the "material's

eventual disposition," i.e. over whether Energy Dept.

funding for the MOX program will go through to

actually process the Pu into MOX fuel.  Hodges says he

wants a guarantee that the material will eventually

leave the state.  That's what Hodges is saying,

anyway.  Rep. Lindsay Graham (R) and Rep. Jim DeMint

(R) support Hodges' position (but not the roadblock

grandstanding) while Lt. Gov. Bob Peeler (R) is saying

that Hodges' actions are irresponsible.

I am aware that the shipments are needed to meet

treaty obligations with Russia to _destroy_ plutonium

inventory.

IMHO, this fracas has to do with the fact that Hodges

has loyalty to Democrats, who for some reason (that I

have trouble understanding) insist on being stridently

against nuclear power, even when what is involved is

converting weapons material into fuel.

Are there any other South Carolina residents out

there, or interested other parties who would like to

co-sign/revise this letter to Gov. Hodges?

A first draft is below:

Dear Governor Hodges:

I oppose your plan to block the highway to plutonium

shipments from Rocky Flats, Colorado.  I think that it

is grandstanding.   The shipments are part of a

'swords-into-plowshares' program that will take bomb

(ugh!) plutonium and cut it down into fuel that can be

used in nuclear reactors where it will be burned up

(fissioned) and gotten rid of so that the plutonium

will no longer exist.  This operation ensures that the

United States can meet treaty obligations with Russia

to destroy weapons-grade nuclear material.  The MOX

fuel that the plutonium will be diluted into is an

efficient reactor fuel that 'stretches' domestic

energy resources for the United States to run our air

conditioners, computers, businesses, and the other

things we need to have a good lifestyle.

While it is indeed true that South Carolina is the

home of John C. Calhoun, the father of States' Rights,

I urge you not to once again re-create the image of a

Southern governor blocking a change that is directed

toward reducing the inventory of weapons-grade nuclear

materials in the United States.  Any move that reduces

the amount of weapons-grade special nuclear materials

is something that has a peaceful intent.   Your idea

of using the SC State Troopers to block the shipment

reminds me of what the late Governor of Alabama,

George C. Wallace, did in 1960 when he stood in the

schoolhouse door.

I urge you to instead throw your support behind the

Department of Energy to implement the MOX Fuel plan.

This implies that the plutonium shipments will leave

the state and that they will be _used up_ as fuel.  It

also will help our nation meet international treaty

commitments, ensures an easily available supply of

fuel for power plants, and will created jobs for South

Carolina.

Sincerely yours,

Ruth Sponsler

Clemson, South Carolina.