Re: [Know_Nukes] Re: Chernobyl remembered - article

 From: Norman Cohen <ncohen12@comcast.net>

> Hi Jim

> Comments below:

> Jim Hoerner wrote:

>> Actually, Dr. Bertell would say the number is closer to 1.4 billion -

> --- yes, you are correct. It becomes a question of to what you attribute

> the effects of radiation. If you consider that additional radiation

> equals immune system diseases, and include all indirect effects of

> radiation, you could come up with a mega-number, as did Dr B. ---

If you think about it, it can't be true.  The doses are small compared to

differences in background radiation, which don't have the adverse health

effects.  Also, 100s millions of people exposed to low-moderate medical

radiation don't show the adverse effects predicted (some high dose early

radiation therapies did). If it were true, radiologists/nuclear medicine

physicians would be mass murderers.

>> Of course, if you were actually interested in the real number you might take

>> a look at the UN/UNICEF report locaterd here:

>> http://www.undp.org/dpa/publications/chernobyl.pdf (355 kb)

> ---- Netscape won;t open that pdf file; but its my understanding that

> the UN was working from one set of numbers and assumptions that not all

> researchers agree to.  Remember that one was dealing with the Soviet

> Union , a repressive government who's first response was to cover up the

> effects of the disaster. ---

UNSCEAR reviewed all of hundreds of studies, see the previous email. The

attention paid by leading scientists constrained the usual promulgation of

junk science to support the LNT. Their June 2001 open conf in Kiev with WHO

and the countries promulgating false health effects to get funds addressed

weak individual studies.  Contrary to your perception, the world rad

protection authorities are committed to maintain the LNT political fiction,

and funding (that they use your organization to support) are trying to kill

UNSCEAR!

Regards, Jim Muckerheide