Radium Info Requested

I am interested in practical HP info for the safe handling of unsealed

radium in 100 uCi quantities.

Information on survey and identfication is NOT needed.  In addition, I'm

aware of the special disposal issues.

Information in the following areas would be greatly appreciated.

1)  Skin absorption hazard?  Yes/No?  I seem to recall reading about radium

being somewhat volitile.

2)  Related to the above - Will radium be effectively captured with a HEPA

filter?  I know the radon daughter will get through - I'm more concerned

with the radium itself.  If HEPA is not the most appropriate or best filter,

what is?

3)  I've heard horry stories about radium spreading and contaminating an

entire facility.  Does radium present special problems in this regard vs.

other pure isotope material?

4)  Any other special handling precautions?  Tips/Suggestions?  Lessons

learned?  Pratical experience?

Thanks to all.  Personal reply suggested to keep radsafe volume down unless

you think others will be interested or benefit.

Reply to slhp@hotmail.com

Steve L.

http://www.hotmail.com