Re: Groundwater transport, colloids, etc.

Hello Radsafers:

      This is from:   jpreisig@aol.com   .

      Hi Casper Sun,

           I hear you are doing internal dosimetry at Brookhaven Lab.  I hope

all

     goes well there.  Will you eventually get another chance at

     doing Bonner Multisphere Spectrometry (neutron external dosimetry)???

     Good Luck...

           I don't know much about colloids, colloidal suspensions, etc.,

     so I'll just list some computer codes which are popular

     for groundwater flow and transport modelling.  You'll have to find out

if they

     can handle the transport of colloids.

     RESRAD --- A rad code from Argonne National Lab.  --- don't know

                        much about it.

     Femwater/Femwaste --- A flow and transport computer code.  Suen and

                                        Sullivan worked on it (Sullivan may

still be

                                        Brookhaven --- talk to him???)

     Lewater/Lewaste --- Transport and flow codes from Gour-tesh (George) Yeh

                                  of Penn State University.  He used to give

seminars on

                                  these codes, and I think also provided the

students

                                  with copies of these computer codes.

     Modflow --- and associated codes.  Flow and Transport codes popular with

                      the US Geological Survey.

     Some groundwater flow and transport codes are available (for handling

     charges) from the Radiation Shielding Information Center (Now RSICC,

with

     a slightly different name --- RSICC is at Oak Ridge).

          Colloids are organic matter, No????  My guess is that large organic

     molecules have trouble transporting in groundwater, just due to physical

     size, unless the flow is through fairly large fractures in the

geological

     medium.  Also, I would guess that highly reactive organic molecules

don't

     get too far in your average soil or rock.  Look up Kd values in a

     geochemistry textbook.

                  Regards,                    J.R. Preisig., Ph.D.