Quick Erecting Scaffold

Radsafe members - this request is directed to those of you at nuclear power

utilities.  I'm seeking your comments and advice on a product called the

Excel Automatic Locking Scaffold System *.  This is a "quick erecting"

scaffold system which we are currently evaluating for use at our station.

If you use this system, could I ask that you read over the list of questions

below, and provide any feedback directly to me at:

mailto:jim.patterson@opg.com.  Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

How long have you been using Excel?

What is the percentage of Excel scaffolding being used compared to other

types you may be using, such as tube & clamp?

Have you had any failures of any kind with the Excel system. i.e.. (Positive

lock mechanism)

Have you ever had any safety concerns/issues or realised and safety gains

with the use of Excel?  If so, please elaborate.

What cost savings have you realised with Excel? i.e.. (Labour cost)

Has the Excel system decreased your outage schedule? (How many hours/days)?

What type and number of hours of training did you conduct for your current

scaffold trades and/or other trades?

Has use of Excel led to a reduction in collective dose?  If so, by how much?

What other likes or dislikes do you have with Excel?

What kind of support have you received from Excel?

Do you recommend the Excel Scaffold System?

Jim Patterson

Health Physicist

Radiation Protection - ALARA

Ontario Power Generation - Pickering Nuclear

(905) 839-1151 x6734

jim.patterson@opg.com