Re: Nukes close, infant deaths go down - Tooth Fairy Project - NY Times

Radsafe:
The  "scientists' involved in this study claiming positive health effects  shortly after closing down some nuclear plants, and the work of the so-called Tooth Fairy Project [it should more properly be called the No Nukes "Fairy-Tale Project"] have a long history of generating "studies" that are scientifically fradulent. It has been shown that the likes of Sternglass [and Sternglass wannnabes like Mangano following in Sternglass's footsteps]  only
choose temporal and geographic data related to health statistics  which support  their hypothesis and ignore data which does not.

The technique is basically quite simple. Move a window of time [only selected after reviewing the data to prove the point you're trying to make] along some set of health statistics until you see some health statistic go up or down depending on your claim. Select locations only [cities, counties, whatever] where results support your preconceived bias. Call these locations downwind even if they're not.  This is the technique of propagandists not scientists.

Sternglass's published "studies" have been rebuked for more than 30 years by National Academy of Sciences/National Research Council in its Biological Effects of Ionizing Radiation Reports [BEIR] series.  In the November 1972 BEIR Report of the Advisory Committee on the Biological Effects of Ionizing Radiations critically reviewed [p. 178]  the temporal and geographic correlations of health detriment [in that case infant mortality] with levels of radioactive fallout from atom weapons testing or nuclear power plants produced by Sternglass