Re: Nukes close, infant deaths go down - Tooth Fairy Project - NY Times

I too got the opportunity to hear Dr. Sternglass speak a few years ago at

one of our local community high schools.  I thought he was an embarrassment

to the Tooth Fairy Tale cause.  He couldn't even stay on the subject and

rambled on and on hardly even finishing a single sentence.

Every time Norm brings this subject  up (and "Fairy Tale" is such a better

title) I keep wanting to ask these questions...  (this time I will...)

If these big bad nuclear plants are really killing babies and causing

breast cancer.....

THEN -

   WHY don't all of us who work at and live near these plants know dozens

   of people who have had their babies or young children die from cancer?

    Why don't I have a bunch of girlfriends who have breast cancer?

   Why don't I even hear a bunch of second and third hand stories about yet

   another local family who has been stricken by cancer?

    Why don't I have dozens of friends who are dropping like flies from

   cancer?

After all, I have lived in this community ALL MY LIFE, and have worked

right here for over half of it.  If this is true, then why hasn't it

affected my life or the lives of people I know several times over in a very

painful way?

I have had three healthy full term babies while working here, who are all

still healthy and alive, as do several co-workers and friends.   Imagine

that.  I wonder how we have all survived working and living in this

community in the shadow of this big bad nuclear plant.

Of course we all know people who have unfortunately been stricken with

cancer.  And I don't mean to minimize the personal impact that this has on

anyone who has cancer or who has lost a loved one to it.

Surely if the Tooth Fairy Tale was true by any stretch of the imagination,

I think that this profession in particular would have seen such a higher

incidence of cancer in our own little worlds, and have one heartbreaking

story after another to share.

I know my personal conclusions are not scientific, but they make sense to

me.

My opinion only, and not that of my employer's.

Julie Shafer

FPL/ Turkey Point

Dosimetry Supervisor