RE: Nukes close, infant deaths go down - Tooth Fairy Project - NY Times

>I looked at an earlier version of this "research" by Joe Mangano, a protege

>of Ernest Sternglass. It was ideologically-driven data mining of the

>shoddiest sort. Mangano (et al.?) chose "downwind" counties without any

>regard for actual wind patterns, choosing some that were upwind and

>ignoring downwind counties whose infant mortality data did not conform to

>the "right" answer.

---

This type of research by Sternglass has been discussed in great detail in a

book written by Bo Lindell (former head of the Swedish Radiation Protection

Institute, SSI) and Sven Löfveberg (also formerly at SSI) in 1972 & 1975.

The book is in Swedish with the title "Kärnkraften, människan och

säkerheten" (approx. "Nuclear Power, Man and Safety"). The essential pages

are 263-277.

The text explains how Sternglass choses associations of various kinds. As an

example - he had been asked at a meeting in Copenhagen in 1971  why child

mortality was correlated with radioactivity releases from Indian Point to

the Hudson River (which hardly can hurt children on land) rather than with

the predominant wind direction. The answer Sternglass gave was that the wind

direction didn't give as nice correlation. There is more crazy stuff

explained (in the book) which refers to Indian Point including how time

windows were chosen according to a similar mathematical approach.

These are not my personal ideas - it stems directly from the book I refer

to,

Bjorn Cedervall    bcradsafers@hotmail.com

http://www.hotmail.com