Re: CBC news: Nuclear waste on the Great Lakes

In a message dated 5/1/02 2:57:50 PM Mountain Daylight Time, frantaj@AECL.CA writes:

On the less serious side -- just so we know what else might possibly be coming out of the US Congress (Kucinich, Markey, etc.) and the media -- what other FEASIBLE TRANSPORTATION ALTERNATIVES HAD TO BE CONSIDERED ? -- any chance we'll be seeing horror stories about ballistic missiles delivering SNF to Yucca Mountain ? ...how about Goodyear blimps ? ...covered wagons drawn by horses perhaps ? ....pannier-equipped bicycles ?

You will be pleased to know that the consideration of impractical alternatives was limited to barge transport and to U. S. waters (we didn't have to consider the Panama Canal or the Straits of Magellan).  I like the covered wagons, though -- very Nevada.

For those of you who may run into this, the generator sites (and waterways) considered were:

Salem and Hope Creek (Delaware Bay)
Oyster Creek (the Atlantic along the Jersey shore)
Calvert Cliffs (Chesapeake Bay)
Surry (James RIver)
Turkey Point and St. Lucie (Atlantic coast of Florida)
Grand Gulf (Mississippi River)
Brown's Ferry (Tennessee River)
Kewaunee, Point Beach, and Palisades (Lake Michigan -- along each coast)
Cooper (Missouri River)
Diablo Canyon (Pacific Coast of California)
Haddam Neck and Indian Point (Long Island Sound)

The idea was to barge to the nearest railhead.
Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com