Re: CBC news: Nuclear waste on the Great Lakes

In a message dated 5/1/02 6:01:28 PM Mountain Daylight Time, ncohen12@comcast.net writes:

There is also a proposal to barge nuke waste from Salem/Hope Creek down
the Delaware River. I don't think final transport modes or rotues have
been decided on.

No there is not.   Yes that scenario is in the Yucca Mountain EIS, which, as I said before, said that barge was considered possible but not practical.   Final transport routes  have not been decided on, but DOE has said repeatedly that rail is the preferred mode (that's in print in the EIS).  I think it's also safe to say, from reading the EIS, that any use of barge has been decided against .

I can see that I am forced into becoming an EIS "truth squad."  The EIS is available on the web, and the statement about barge transportation is very clear in Appendix J.
Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com