Re: free speech

Radsafers,

As a relative newcomer to the group (two weeks) I should probably reserve comment, but maybe this observation will prove to be constructive.

I signed on to this group in hopes of gaining technical knowledge outside of the parameters of my work environment. I had also hoped to track the latest news article postings from around the country, and gain an insight into other worlds of rad.

While I am seeing a good bit of what I had hoped to see in the technical and current events aspects, I have been a little disappointed in another way.

I must agree with Lipton that some members of the group have a tendency to demonize others (the media, environmentalists, and those perceived as anti-nuke). Some of the rebuttals offered do seem rather personal.

I must say I was amazed this morning to see the resurgence of Clinton-bashing (the former president), although in retrospect, over the last couple of days Mrs. Clinton's character has been fairly ruthlessly assaulted.

If I could offer anything to the group, it would be this . . . The technical sharing of ideas on our chosen profession using the internet can (and should)  be a great benefit to all of us, but it may be helpful if we were a little more clinical and less personal in our discussions.

Just my opinion, add $4.50 and it will buy you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

Charles R. (Bud) Yard, Ph.D., M.P.H.

Oak Ridge, Tennessee

>>> William V Lipton <liptonw@DTEENERGY.COM> 05/02/02 07:11AM >>>

I'm curious as to who would determine what speech is "dangerous and

irresponsible," and am quite concerned about the tendency on Radsafe to

demonize anyone who disagrees with the party line.

I didn't notice any glaring factual errors in the NYT story; just a

headline that you didn't like.  As Norm pointed out, all the "tooth

fairies" did was say that this needs  further study, which is the

standard academic conclusion.  (It would be refreshing to see an

academic paper which concluded that this subject isn't worth studying

any more!)

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Curies forever.

Bill Lipton