Re: Tooth Fairy Project - NY Times - some responses

Norm, Norm, Norm.

WHAT radiation?  There IS NO RADIATION EXPOSURE to these 'poor innocents'

except what they get from nature or their doctors and dentists.

How do I know this?

Because measuring radiation and detecting radioactive materials is easy.

We know how to do it.  Also because every nuclear power plant monitors

their effluents and the environment around their site, including Salem and

Hope Creek.  YOU CAN MONITOR THE ENVIRONMENT TOO if you're really that

concerned about this. (HINT: downwind and downstream give the best results.

It also helps to look at the same time the culprit is there, rather than

before or after.)  Do you know what you will find?  Plenty of natural

radiation and nothing from the power plants.  No guessing is needed.

Why rely on conjecture and speculation when all you have to do is go out,

find the evidence (with readily available technology), and PROVE to

everybody beyond a shadow of a doubt that these "continual doses of low

level radiation" exist?  I've suggested this before and received no

response.

No fair, Norm.  You don't get to start with the premise of "continual doses

of low level radiation" when you haven't provided proof and the means to

prove it are available.

That reminds me, I'm also still waiting for answers to a couple of other

questions that I've asked:

-How do these radioactive materials sneak past effluent and environmental

monitoring in amounts large enough to give anyone a significant dose? It's

far more straighforward and accurate to monitor/model the pollutant from

source to receptor than to try to observe speculative 'effects' at a

distance.

-What's the right answer for spent nuclear fuel?  Keep it onsite? Ship it

to Yucca Mountain? (If so, how?)  Put it in the alley out back and hope

someone steals it?  It exists whether you like it or not (I know: you

don't), so you have to have some opinion on what to do with it.  You can't

exclude ALL options, so what is the option most acceptable to you?  (New

question - why do anti's act as if spent fuel has just now come into

existence?  It's only been around for decades...when does this great burden

on humanity begin?)

- Why don't people in higher background radiation areas than those around

Salem/Hope Creek show any negative health effects?  These people are ALWAYS

receiving "continual doses of low level radiation," but at levels even

higher than the ones you are concerned with.  If the health effects are

real, rather than imagined, then they should be evident anywhere there is a

higher radiation dose to people.

These questions aren't that hard, are they?  If you really are that

concerned, you should be able to provide an honest, thoughtful answer to

them.  And if you or your group can't generate enough logic to deal with

questions like these, why should your efforts to influence energy

generation alternatives be given any credence?

Vincent King,

Idaho Falls

 Now none of this proves that Salem/Hope Creek causes cancer, and we at

Unplug

Salem don't say that. What we do say is that continual doses of  low level

radiation

over periods of time affect the immune system of those most at risk:

fetuses, infants, and the elderly. A weakened immune system allows other

environmental toxins (and Salem County has plenty of them) to have a

stronger

effect. (synergism).