Re: Physicians Speak Out Against Yucca Mountain Nuclear Waste Tra nsports Thr...

In a message dated 05/10/2002 9:30:59 AM Pacific Daylight Time, tstead@ntirs.org writes:

I'd sure like to know why an elected Congressman
refuses to look into the matter and see for himself
why "if that had been nuclear waste" then there would
have been no release.

Ummm...how 'bout because being against nuclear waste is an easy win issue?  Especially if the scientific community cannot be heard on the issue.  If the factual information is suppressed, e.g., by political pressure on agencies to maintain neutrality on an issue, or because the scientific community does not have the same access to the media as does the political community, then there can be no real public debate.  The politicians can go back to their constituency and say, "I saved you from that evil nuclear waste," and the public will not know any better, because the experts either have not, or cannot speak out.

Barbara