Investigations and results

communicated privately with several individuals who willingly entered

into a dialogue, and I respect that. Secondly, I am going to provide

just a few cases below, not to prove that all research utilizing

animals is wrong, but to simply demonstrate that simply knowing of no

case of abuse doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. We all only

experience what we see and feel. As far as I know, none of us has x-

ray vision that can see all, whether we're in the area or not. I also

don't want to give the impression that I am against testing animals

in order to preclude helping mankind. I am categorically in favour of

testing animals where there is a demonstrable positive effect that

will help eliminate pain and suffering to humans. I do believe that

animals should be treated with proper care, and, that measures be

taken to prevent unnecessary pain and suffering. There are

unfortunately individuals who as children or teens, took pleasure in

hurting or killing animals, simply for the fun of it, and have grown

up to work in research facilities. This is simply wrong, and to

condone killing or hurting any animal simply for the fun and joy of

it (I am NOT talking about hunting here), is wrong.

I will not address this further in the list. I will be pleased to

converse off-line, if anyone desires to do so.

=================

Here's an incomplete list of PETA investigations. Information about

one certain lab has not been provided because PETA is under a gag

order about it.  However, it has been recently learned that the gag

order will very soon expire!  This investigation resulted in $50,000

in fines from the USDA.

In every investigation PETA has conducted, the facility or "target"

has been found guilty of wrongdoing, either according to the federal

Animal Welfare Act, the NIH Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory

Animals, or state anti-cruelty statutes.

Carolina Biological Supply Company - NC - Violations of the AWA,

Administrative Court action taken against the dissection supplier.

Our videotape documentation showed that live cats were crammed so

tightly into cages that their fur and flesh stuck out the openings.

The cages were put into a crude gas chamber and, since there was such

severe overcrowding, many of the cats were not dead after coming out

of the chamber. USDA veterinarians testified that some of these cats

were still alive when they were being infused with formaldehyde. The

USDA Administrative Judge in a startling show of bias, ruled that the

cats were not alive because the CBSC manager (no vet degree - no

degree, period!) said they were not alive! Our case was featured on

ABC Evening News and showed Roger Carras, the reporter, being chased

by a backhoe driven by the cat collector, Al Wise.

-------------------

Wright State University - our investigation into the use of rabbits

and dogs for scabies experiments resulted in a 10 page scathing

letter from the NIH and $25,000 in fines by the USDA. The head

veterinarian resigned in shame. We videotaped and photographed dogs

and rabbits suffering with scabies to the point where their organs

were being affected. No vet care, improper euthanasia, rabbits

bludgeoned with a claw hammer so they could be taken home to be eaten

by staff -- these are all real horrors that occurred in a federally

funded and federally inspected laboratory.

-----------------

Hazleton Research Products - we documented a worker who was known by

management to treat animals cruelly, beating rabbits and slamming

them against the wall when he got angry at them. He often left

severely injured rabbits (internal injuries and broken limbs) in

their cages to die to teach them a lesson. The lab was charged with

cruelty to animals by the Kalamazoo Sheriff's Dept. and a USDA

investigation resulted in sanctions.

------------------

Buckshire Corporation - This Perkasie, Pa. animal supplier and

laboratory was fined $25,000 by the USDA after we documented

chimpanzees in a windowless basement in undersized cages who had gone

cage-crazy from isolation and boredom. This

investigation resulted in the US Army removing its 5 chimpanzees from

the facility. Egregious cruelty to cats was also documented

at Buckshire, including lack of veterinary care, overcrowding, and

inadequate husbandry. Dale Schwindamann, head of USDA's

Animal and Plant Health Inspection Services at the time told me that

this case was among the best documented he had ever seen.

-----------------

University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill - Our investigator made

complaints to her supervisors and the Institutional Animal Care and

Use Committee about the failure to provide veterinary treatment to

mice and rats on a daily basis. PETA has filed a  52 page

complaint with the NIH along with 59 videotapes proving that

researchers can be deliberately cruel.

------------------

NASA's Ames Research Facility - Mt. View, Calif. -- Our investigation

into a veterinarian's complaint about the inept neurosurgeries

being conducted on monkeys resulted in a cease and desist for a

particular researcher who was no longer allowed to conduct such

surgeries. There is so much to this case it makes my head spin but

suffice it to say that we found deliberate cruelty in this facility

as well. Even the veterinarian could not get changes made sufficient

enough to clean the place up. It took public embarrassment.

-----------------

There are other cases such as the neuro experiments on cats conducted

by Josef Rauscheck at the National Institutes of Mental Health in

Bethesda, Md. Nelson Garnett, head of what was then the Office of

Protection from Research Risks, stated that the revelations of that

case by PETA resulted in sweeping changes to the way in which

research was overseen.

Sandy Perle				Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100

Director, Technical			Extension 2306

ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Service	Fax:(714) 668-3149

ICN Pharmaceuticals, Inc.		E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  	E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website: http://sandy-travels.com