Re: Nuclear Fuel

In a message dated 5/13/02 2:41:16 PM Pacific Daylight Time, idias@interchange.ubc.ca writes:

I would add using natural thorium to produce U-233 as a method that could be
used to insure we have enough fuel to last for many years. AECL/CRNL started
to do experiments to get the data needed for a thorium fuel cycle dring the
time I worked there in the seventies and eighties. After the high grade
uranium ore was discovered in Saskatchewan the cost of uranium stabilized
and the program is know on "hold".

John
John R Johnson, PhD idias@interchange.ubc.ca

Note that both Peach Bottom 1 and Fort St. Vrain also used a mixed enriched uranium and thorium fuel.  Both plants are now closed and the fuel has not been reprocessed or disposed.  The fuel design of both was to permit separation of the kernel fractions from the coated particles to permit easy separation of the uranium-235/238, Pu fraction from the Th-232/U-233 fraction for reprocessing.  The radiation characteristics of the U-233 are nasty compared to that of the U-235/Pu-239 nuclides.  The proposed pebble bed reactors will use similar fuel designs.

John Andrews
Knoxville, Tennessee