Genetic comparisons

I received this from a National Science Foundation news server.  I would

expect that when you compare the beneficial effects to radiation to humans,

it is better to use fruit flies than nematodes.  I wonder how yeast compare?

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist

3050 Traymore Lane

Bowie, MD  20715-2024

E-mail:  jenday1@email.msn.com (H)

Gene Study Determines How Humans are Related to Fruit Flies and Nematode

Worms

The most comprehensive genetic study of evolutionary relationships among

those animals whose genes have been completely sequenced - the human, the

fruit fly, and the nematode worm - has determined that the human species is

more closely related to the fruit fly than to the nematode.

"We compared 100 genes that are common among these three species - the

largest data set ever used to address this question - and obtained a result

that is unambiguous," says S. Blair Hedges, an evolutionary biologist at

Penn State University.

Hedges and his colleagues overturn a popular hypothesis that was based

primarily on the study of a single gene. The research team, comprising

scientists from Penn State and Japan, was funded by the National Science

Foundation (NSF). Two of these species represent much larger groups of

animals, with humans representing vertebrates and the fruit fly representing

arthropods.

The study impacts any field that is concerned with the inheritance of traits

in major groups of animals, Hedges says. The results - expected to affect

the content of biology textbooks - have important implications for research

in fields such as medicine and developmental biology. The results of the

study were published in the web-based journal BMC Evolutionary Biology.

The researchers tapped into the wealth of data now available in the

completely sequenced genomes of the three species. The nematode and fruit

fly are among the most widely used model organisms in medical and genetics

research because they can be bred easily and produce new generations

quickly.

"A lot of our understanding of human medicine is based on these species

because we can do experiments with them that you wouldn't do with humans,"

Hedges says. Scientists' understanding of how the species are related will

determine how to reconstruct their histories and whether a mutational change

is interpreted as relatively recent or ancient. [Cheryl Dybas]

http://www.nsf.gov/od/lpa/news/02/tip020507.htm