Re: Genetic comparisons

It makes sense that insects are genetically closer to

humans than nematodes.  This result will probably

disappoint some gerontologists who have been using

_Caenorhabditis elegans_ (a nematode) as a model of

longevity.

I remember my insect morphology professor stating

numerous times that the arthropods, in particular the

Class Insecta, are the most evolutionarily advanced

line of invertebrates.  [Nematodes are less advanced].

Obviously there is a very large split in the lineage

between invertebrates and vertebrates, but the insects

are at the top of the invertebrate lineage.  Insects

are often cheap and easy to rear and are a reasonably

good model for general information.

Insects really aren't very close to humans [compared

with vertebrate models like mice] in the specifics of

biological response to toxicants or radiation, but

they can yield comparative general information.

There have been quite a few studies of radiation with

insects (too many to list here).  Many use doses on

the order of 100's of Gy.

Models of stress response and adaptation (hormesis)

involving insects, particularly fruit flies?

P.A. Parsons has spent much of his life investigating

ethanol titre, radiation) in a couple of species of

fruit flies that live in rotting fruit.  From this he

has derived theories about the evolutionary

significance of stress adaptation.

More of Parsons' articles can be found in PubMed by

typing "Parsons PA Drosophila"

In the interest of humor, here is an article that

found that radiation increased longevity of male

houseflies but decreased longevity among the

girl-flies!  Quite high doses were used.  I don't know

what would have happened had they flypapered the flies

with lower doses (500 R? 1 kR?).

~Ruth 2 (material below is titles and abstracts)

A FEW CITATIONS

Allen RG, Sohal RS.  1982.  Life-lengthening effects

of gamma-radiation on the adult housefly, Musca

domestica.  Mech Ageing Dev. 1982 Dec;20(4):369-375.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=7166985&dopt=Abstract

Effects of gamma-irradiation on the life span of the

adult housefly (Musca domestica) were examined in

order to elucidate the relationship between metabolic

rate, irradiation  and longevity. Adult houseflies of

both sexes, exposed to 0, 20, 40 and 66 kR of

gammma-radiation, were housed under conditions of

relatively high or low physical activity. The mean

longevity of high activity males exposed to 20 and 40

kR exhibited a significant increase, whereas the

average life span of all female populations, low

activity males, and high activity males exposed to 66

kR was significantly decreased following irradiation.

Radiation exposure caused a reduction in the rate of

oxygen consumption in both sexes as well as a decrease

in the incidence of wing loss in the male flies.

Analysis of the results suggests that

radiation-induced life-lengthening in the housefly is

a consequence of reduced metabolic activity.

"DROSOPHILA RESEARCH"

Parsons PA.  1995.  Inherited stress resistance and

longevity: a stress theory of ageing.  Heredity. 1995

Aug;75 ( Pt 2):216-221.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=7558889&dopt=Abstract

Parsons PA.  1993.  Evolutionary adaptation and

stress: energy budgets and habitats preferred.  Behav

Genet. 1993 May;23(3):231-238. Review.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=8352716&dopt=Abstract

Hoffmann AA, Parsons PA.  1989.  Selection for

increased desiccation resistance in Drosophila

melanogaster: additive  genetic control and correlated

Aug;122(4):837-845.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=2503423&dopt=Abstract

Previously we found that Drosophila melanogaster lines

selected for increased desiccation resistance have

lowered metabolic rate and behavioral activity levels,

and show correlated responses for resistance to

starvation and a toxic ethanol level. These results

were consistent with a prediction that increased

resistance to many environmental stresses may be

genetically correlated because of a reduction in

 metabolic energy expenditure. Here we present

experiments on the genetic basis of the selection

response and extend the study of correlated responses

to other stresses. The response to selection was not

sex-specific and involved X-linked and autosomal genes

acting additively. Activity differences contributed

little to differences in desiccation resistance

between selected and control lines. Selected lines had

lower metabolic rates than controls in darkness when

activity was inhibited. Adults from selected lines

showed increased resistance to a heat shock,

60Co-gamma-radiation, and acute ethanol and acetic

acid stress. The desiccation, ethanol and starvation

resistance of isofemale lines set up from the F2s of a

cross between one of the selected and one of the

control lines were correlated. Selected and control

lines did not differ in ether-extractable lipid

content or in resistance to acetone, ether or a cold

shock.

 Zimmermann KC, Ricci JE, Droin NM, Green DR.

The role of ARK in stress-induced apoptosis in

Drosophila cells.  J Cell Biol. 2002 Mar

18;156(6):1077-1087.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11901172&dopt=Abstract

"THEORY/HYPOTHESES"

These articles have as their basis Parsons' work with

stresses on Drosophila (heat, desiccation, as well as

radiation).

Parsons, P.A.  2001.  The hormetic zone: an ecological

and evolutionary perspective based upon habitat

characteristics and fitness selection.   Q. Rev. Biol.

76(4):459-467.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11783398&dopt=Abstract

Parsons, P.A.  1999.   Low level exposure to ionizing

radiation: do ecological and evolutionary

considerations imply phantom risks?   Perspect Biol

Med. Autumn;43(1):57-68.  (no abstract)

Parsons PA.  2002.  Radiation hormesis: challenging

LNT theory via ecological and evolutionary

considerations.

Health Phys. 2002 Apr;82(4):513-516.

--- "Jacobus, John (OD/ORS)" <jacobusj@ors.od.nih.gov>

LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience