Re: responsibility?

Norm,

Personally, I think a great deal of protesting in the U.S. has become a

'retro'-hobby for pampered whiners who rely on the protection and benefits

of the system they complain about.  But, no, my rant below was not against

people who legally and peacefully protest.  It is directed at the

'rent-a-protester' type individuals like those that made the news at

Seattle.

You might take a look around before dismissing Seattle as an isolated

incident, though.  That type nonsense is becoming a trend, in case you

haven't noticed.  Any large event now must address the possibility that

these individuals will show up to "party" (i.e., destroy property, disrupt,

etc.) even though they don't have any idea what the issues are, nor do they

care.  If I were organizing a protest for a legitimate cause, I would

certainly avoid help like this.  Doesn't help my cause, whatever it is,

when a 'minority' like this begins to get the attention.

(Unfortunately, publishing baseless claims, attacking the messenger rather

than the message, and ignoring facts DOESN'T seem to hurt causes, but

that's another topic.)

V. King

                    Norman Cohen

                    <ncohen12@comc       To:     Vincent A King/KINGVA/CC01/INEEL/US

                    ast.net>              <KINGVA@INEL.GOV>

                                         cc:     radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

                    05/09/2002           Fax to:

                    06:36 PM             Subject:     Re: responsibility?

Vincent,

If you mean some of what on at Seattle, where a minority of protesters

turned

violent, I can see where you are coming from. But for the people I work

with,

both in the Coalition for Peace and Justice, when we hold anti-war vigils,

and

in The UNPLUG Salem Campaign, when we hold protests near Salem, your words

are

just way wrong. These are respectable folks of all ages, including many

seniors, including WWII veterans, business people, some former government

officials. We don't act like delinquents - some of us are too old to

remember

how. ;-).

peace

norm

Vincent A King/KINGVA/CC01/INEEL/US wrote:

> And I think a majority of  the "protests" that go on today are just

covers

> for jerks who want to act like delinquents.  There are a lot more

> protesters than causes out there.

> But that's just my opinion.

> V. King

> radsafe" (no quote marks) in the body of the e-mail, with no subject

line.

--

Coalition for Peace and Justice and the UNPLUG Salem Campaign; 321 Barr

Ave.,

Linwood, NJ 08221; 609-601-8583 or 609-601-8537;  ncohen12@comcast.net

UNPLUG

SALEM WEBSITE:  http://www.unplugsalem.org/  COALITION FOR PEACE AND

JUSTICE

WEBSITE:  http://www.coalitionforpeaceandjustice.org   The Coalition for

Peace

and Justice is a chapter of Peace Action.

"First they ignore you; Then they laugh at you; Then they fight you; Then

you

win. (Gandhi) "Why walk when you can fly?"  (Mary Chapin Carpenter)