RE: Dirty bomb scenario

Greetings All,

I think we will see a re-examination (or at least a realistic view of

relative risk) of the LNT right about the time someone suggests demolishing

Manhattan to eliminate a few pCi/g of Ir.  I read a story recently

(referenced here?) about a reactor in Maine that is being decommissioned.

Suddenly everyone is becoming aware of the high price we pay for trivial

risk.  Once it starts REALLY hitting our pocketbooks, a more realistic

scenario should unfold.

-Rob

Robert J. Gunter, CHP

Follow the money....

*******************

The Federation of American Scientists has an assessment of the "Dirty

Bomb" scenario worth reading:

      Dirty Bombs: Response to a Threat

      The US has indicated its willingness to spend hundreds of billions of

      dollars to combat threats that are, in our view, far less likely

to occur

      than a radiological attack. This includes funding defensive measures

      that are far less likely to succeed than the measures that we

propose in

      this testimony. The comparatively modest investments to reduce the

      danger of radiological attack surely deserve priority support.

=Snip=

See:

http://www.fas.org/faspir/2002/v55n2/index.html