Re: Dirty Bomb

I agree this is probably one of the most important areas health physicists

could involve themselves in now.

Barbara is right: first responders are very receptive to information about

stuff that can kill them on the job. They will listen if you can explain in

terms they understand.  Too many of them have only heard what the

know-nothing antis have spouted.  I, for one, don't want medical assistance

delayed to myself or one of my family because a fire captain's 'knowledge'

of radiation hazard is based on garbage from Unplug

Salem/Baldwin/STAR/Caldicott/etc.

They need to know that their standard response tactics will also keep them

safe when radioactive materials are involved.  They need to know that they

are not going to receive lethal doses from transportation accidents

involving radioactive material.  They need to know that if they get

contamination on their skin, it washes off.  Etc.

They need to see radiation measurements demonstrated so they don't freak

out when they hear the clicks.  Demonstrate enough to get them over the

phobia.  (As comfortable as I am with radioactive materials now, I still

remember what the phobia feels like.  After you've watched as many monster

movies growing up as I did, the first time you realize you're standing next

to a source of radiation, you can feel every beta particle hit your skin -

at least it seems like that.  That phobia is countered by education.)

As Barbara indicates, these people will put themselves at risk to save our

lives whether they understand the risks or not.  I think we owe it to them

to help them understand.

Vincent King

Idaho Falls

This is extremely important.  We all need to get involved, especially now.

I have done a lot of training for Hazmat teams, bomb squads, and fire

departments, and they, one and all, really want to know what the actual,

realistic life-threatening risks are.  These are men and women that

potentially put their lives on the line everyday, and they are extremely

receptive to a very commonsense approach about radioactive materials.

The best we can do is to educate our responders as best we possibly can,

without making them crazy with radiation physics or civil engineering data,

and to acknowledge the courage they have demonstrated in taking on such a

serious and threatening task to the benefit of all society.

Barbara