Re: Dirty Bomb

In a message dated 5/16/02 8:58:31 AM Mountain Daylight Time, Jack_Earley@RL.GOV writes:

These are the people the anti's are focused on scaring (because they're better at this than we are), and it's the same group we need to reach

The scare tactics are enhanced by scientific illiteracy.  If the "mommies" (hey, I'm a Mommy too -- even a Grandma) had better general science education from, say, middle school on, they wouldn't be so easily misled.  I keep repeating myself: education is done by teachers in schools, not by bureaucrats in workshops.

And it's done by ordinary press and press release.  If DOE, for example, would change its current policy of virtually never comparing doses with average annual background, or dental x-ray, or anything, and would just, IN EVERY PRESS RELEASE, mention  some routine, everyday comparison.  Most pmedia people don't know this either, and when informed, they say sort of "really?"

Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com