Re: Smoke-free ordinances

In a message dated 05/20/2002 5:50:41 PM Pacific Daylight Time, s.julian.gibbs@vanderbilt.edu writes:

I, for one, am not willing to contribute one cent to pay for
someone (anyone) else's bad habits.

Hence the proposed tax on sodas with sugar in California, because it makes obese kids, and we all pay for that too.  I'm no Gwyneth Paltrow, but I'm no Rosie O'Donnell either.  Fat is a serious health risk.  Why are any of us paying for that?  Or for that matter, as I stated earlier, my daughter's father's family has a history of melanoma.  Why should everyone else bear the cost of my potentially bad breeding choice?  Maybe we should prevent people with any genetically-connected disease or disorder from breeding?  That way we could really bring down health-care costs, right?

Barbara