Re: Radon Field Day

In a message dated 05/20/2002 7:10:07 AM Pacific Daylight Time, RuthWeiner writes:

Now the restaurants in New Mexico if they have more than a certain number of tables, are required to have "no smoking" sections, and that is true in a lot of states.  I find that a reasonable compromise, especially since the health effects of second hand smoke are not negligible.

I am all for compromise.  I actually don't have any objections to being prohibited from smoking in restaurants, or in public buildings, etc.  When they start taking it to the streets, and prohibiting it anywhere, including the streets themselves, then I don't think that's a compromise anymore.

Also, I agree with another poster on this subject with respect to the actual risks from second hand smoke.  The actual statistics are poor.  It's an easy target, much like low-level radiation, so the public doesn't object.

Barbara