RE: Smoke-free ordinances

>However, there is one point we must all consider: smoking drives up

the cost of health care.  Who pays for that?  We all do, through

increased taxes, health insurance premiums, and god knows what all

else.

----

Since 15 years back, I have two different work places:

1/ The Karolinska Institute - our departments (Medical Radiation

Biology/CancerCentrum Karolinska, and Medical Radiation Physics) which are

located in the Karolinska Hospital area.

2/ SwedPower/Vattenfall (largest electricity producer in Scandiavia) - a

major work place with offices for more than 2000 employees.

The difference in the amount of smoking outside the main entrances is very

striking (at both work places smoking is not allowed indoors): There is

_much_ more smoking outside the main entrances of the Karolinska Hospital

area (but not at KI campus). This is not only true for the cancer oriented

units but also for most of the other ones - anything: Infections,

endocrinology, orthopedics, thorax, skin diseases, emergencies,... My study

is not a scientific one - I just observe - not only all the people smoking -

but also the cigarette butts on the ground (many ash tray arrangements

outside all the buildings).

The bottom line is that there seems to be a strong association between all

sorts of medical problems and smoking. I don't mean that smoking causes

broken legs but there may be life style factors involved - attitudes to many

kinds of health risks.

Some pictures are etched into my mind for ever like the perhaps seven months

pregnant woman who stood right outside "Radiumhemmet" (our main building for

the treatment of cancer). I once (at age around 32) told an approx. twelve

year old girl - in the nicest possible way - that smoking was not good for

her and that she should try to be quit and be careful. She told me - "you

old man - to go to Hell" - I never tried that trick again (I turn to the

politicians directly instead but it doesn't seem to help much). We have now

experienced a doubling in lung cancer deats among women in Sweden in twenty

years.

My personal reflections only,

Bjorn Cedervall   bcradsafers@hotmail.com