Re: CHP Part II question

These are equations for calculating  "buildup factors" for photon attenuation in iron and lead.  The attenuation equation is:

I(x) = I(x=0)*exp(-u*x)*b

where I is the photon flux at a given point as a function of shielding thickness, u is the attenuation coefficient, x is the shielding thickness, and b is the buildup factor.  These equations are approximations based on empirical results, and are

rarely used in the "real world"  (Wherever that is, I haven't found it, yet!).  I generally use tabulated results from ANSI/ANS-6.4.3-1991, "American National Standard for Gamma-Ray Attenuation Coefficients and Buildup Factors for Engineering

Materials," when performing shielding calculations.  This is the data source for "Microshield."

The opinions expresed are strictly mine.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Curies forever.

Bill Lipton

liptonw@dteenergy.com