How to increase your risk of exposure to depleted uranium

Read the last paragraph.

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist

3050 Traymore Lane

Bowie, MD  20715-2024

E-mail:  jenday1@email.msn.com (H)

Hodgkin's disease may be biologically proven by the end of the year,

according to researchers at Modena's Policlinico Hospital in Italy.

> Appointed by the Ministry of Defence, the researchers, led by Dr. Giuseppe

Torelli, have begun a study of 16 Italian soldiers who developed Hodgkin's

lymphoma after returning from the UN peacekeeping mission in Bosnia and

Kosovo.

> "At the moment we are focusing on possible p53 mutations. This gene is

often defective in cancer, but not in Hodgkin's disease. Finding variations

in the soldiers' p53 gene or in other genes particularly receptive to

environmental changes would imply a carcinogenic exposure," Dr. Mario Luppi,

one of the hematologists working on the project, told Reuters Health.

> The controversy over the high incidence of cancer cases among Italian

soldiers resurfaced on Tuesday as Defence Minister Antonio Martino announced

that a scientific report on the issue will be published shortly.

> "Hodgkin's lymphoma is more widespread among the Italian soldiers who were

in the Balkans than in the national population and even more than in

soldiers from other countries who were in the same area," Martino told

reporters. This is the first time that the government acknowledged the

unusually high number of cancer cases among the Italian peacekeepers in the

Balkans.

> "The anomaly must very serious and evident if the defence minister finally

admitted it. Obviously, he wanted to prepare us to a shocking report," Falco

Accame, President of the Ana-Vafaf Association for those killed and injured

in the armed forces told Reuters Health. Accame is also the former President

of the Defence Committee of the Italian Chamber of Deputies.

> At least 13 Italian soldiers have died of cancer since serving in Bosnia,

Kosovo, and Macedonia, sparking a national outcry which caused the defence

ministry to set up a commission of enquiry on December 22, 2000.

> The investigative panel, headed by Dr. Franco Mandelli, studied 28 cases

of cancer from December 1995 through January 2001 in 39,450 soldiers. Last

year, the commission report concluded that hemolymphatic malignancies were

no more common in Balkan-based Italian troops than in the national

population and said there is no proven link between depleted uranium and

cancer in soldiers.

> "Those findings were marked by gross statistical mistakes," Accame said.

"They calculated the risks for all the soldiers who went to the Balkans

during that period, and not in those military really exposed to the risk.

The reason why so many are sick is simple: in Bosnia, as well as in Somalia

and in Kosovo for the first 5 months, our soldiers were left in T-shirts,

totally unprotected."