Re: ILLINOIS RADIOGRAPHER RECEIVED 15 SIEVERT (1,5

After reading the NRC's PNO-III-02-019, on this incident, I'd have to disagree

with your statement that, "...The incident wasn't reported

at the time of occurrence because the radiographer didn't realize he

had been irradiated..."  This document states that, after observing that the

source drive cable was still in the guide tube, the radiographer noticed that

his survey instrument was off scale.  It seems that the radiographer knew he'd

been irradiated, but thought that he could cover up his errors.  This proved

impossible, when he experienced severe radiation injury.

The disturbing question:  How often does this situation occur, but is never

reported, because there is  no clinical injury?

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Curies forever.

Bill Lipton

liptonw@dteenergy.com