Re: chirper

I'm somewhat confused by all this.  This thread started as a discussion on

radiography.  It now seems to be people comparing notes on where to find the

cheapest "chirper."  Two points:  (1) As I noted in an earlier post, 10 CFR 34

requires radiographers to use "an operating alarm ratemeter," NOT a chirper.

These devices are required to alarm at a preset dose rate.  Many of them also

alarm on integrated dose.  The better models can also generate a time versus dose

rate histogram, which is invaluable for accident investigation.  (2) These

radiography licensees are generally not "mom and pop" operations, although they

are sometimes very stingy regarding safety expenditures.  They should be buying

state of the art instrumentation, training their people on its proper use, AND

enforcing safety requirements.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Curies forever.

Bill Lipton