Re: Compact Liquid Scintillation Counting Methods

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

Von: ProRadCon@AOL.COM <ProRadCon@AOL.COM>

An: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu <radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu>

Datum: Mittwoch, 29. Mai 2002 19:03

Betreff: Compact Liquid Scintillation Counting Methods

>Greetings,

>I would like to hear from anyone who's had experience with any compact

>(single sample, small batch) liquid scintillation counting systems.  What I

>hope to do is use such a system in the field, along with associated sample

>preparation procedures, for short TAT screening purposes to support

>remediation of soils, etc. contaminated with C-14 and H-3.

>I recall at least one such system advertised in one of the HP journals or

the

>like, but I prefer to hear from users who can speak to their utility.  In

>light of that, I think it only fair to open the floor to any vendors who

care

>to boast their utility as well.

Shane,

You seem to refer to the "Triathler" from Hidex Oy, Turku, Finland. Yes, I

know this instrument and I have worked with it with regard to radium-226,

radon-222 and shortlived radon daughter products.

It has an excellent alpha-beta-separation, but of course for beta-emitters

the background is much higher than for alphas, because it is a single

photomultiplier instrument. I do not know, what your LLD has to be for C-14

and T. Moreover I do not know, what kind of method you want to use to

measure soil contamination with these radionuclides. You cannot mix the soil

with a cocktail and measure. Do you consider an extraction method with water

to measure soluble C-14 and/or T? I do not know, what TAT screening purposes

are.

I would recommend that you define your needs as to the LLD and the methods

you intend to use and contact the company.  I do not have the Hidex internet

address at hand, but if you are really interested I can find out within a

day or so.

Whenever I purchased an instrument the company had to guarantee the

specifications. Therefore I do not see any problem to contact companies. If

the specifications would not be met, the instrument would go back. Payment

would be made only after the specifications have been proved.

You are of course welcome with additional questions, which I will answer as

far as I can.

Franz