Re: chirper

I'll need some help in understanding your statement that, "The alarming device is after the fact.  The chirper is an ongoing monitor that is on the radiographer..."

If the dose rate from the shielded source is 20 mR/hr, and I set the alarming ratemeter to alarm on 30 mR/hr OR 10 mR integrated dose, it seems that, assuming the ratemeter is working and worn properly and the person responds properly to the alarm, this WILL prevent an overexposure.  It will also tell me if the radiographer is not practicing ALARA in handling the source, even if he does not receive an overexposure.

Chirpers are ok; alarming ratemeters are :  (1) a lot better, and (2) required by the NRC.

So let's stop looking for the Blue Light Special on chirpers, and talk about how we can get the regulators and licensees to take radiography hp seriously.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.
Curies forever.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com

AndrewsJP@AOL.COM wrote:

I...

All these devices will not do what a chirper will do, and that is prevent an overexposure.  The alarming device is after the fact.  The chirper is an ongoing monitor that is on the radiographer.

John Andrews
Knoxville, Tennessee