Re: chirper

In a message dated 5/30/02 3:55:52 AM Pacific Daylight Time, liptonw@dteenergy.com writes:

If the dose rate from the shielded source is 20 mR/hr, and I set the alarming ratemeter to alarm on 30 mR/hr OR 10 mR integrated dose, it seems that, assuming the ratemeter is working and worn properly and the person responds properly to the alarm, this WILL prevent an overexposure.  It will also tell me if the radiographer is not practicing ALARA in handling the source, even if he does not receive an overexposure. Chirpers are ok; alarming ratemeters are :  (1) a lot better, and (2) required by the NRC

What I would like to see is a built-in monitor on the camera that monitored the source activity all the time and displayed a green light when the source was in the fully shielded position.  It would display a yellow light when the source was exposed fully and a yellow light when the source was in any transition position.  It could be done easily with a smart monitor that monitored the source activity all the time.  This, with a chirper on the radiographer, would give much better control than we have now.

John Andrews
Knoxville, Tennessee