[Fwd: Chirpers vs. EPDs]

This message is posted to Radsafe with the permission of the author.

Bill Lipton

-------- Original Message --------

Subject: Chirpers vs. EPDs

Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 10:44:46 -0400

From: Fred McWilliams <fredmcw@MIT.EDU>

To: William V Lipton <liptonw@dteenergy.com>

Bill:

This discussion on the use of "Chirpers" is getting a little irritating

not

only for you, but myself and I assume a number of others.

As you are aware most EPD's have a chirp capability (I know the MG

DMC-2000

does).  If the proper EPD is chosen for the workers (ONE WHICH CHIRPS),

then it is not necessary to employ multiple devices all of which would

need

to be checked and maintained lending to the possibility of additional

failures (and non-compliance issues) and certainty no cost savings.  One

of

the reasons no one can't find a cheap chirpper is because chirp features

are now included in most EPD's ........  so the point is moot and should

end.

On the same thought........For all those who insist that everyone wear

two

devices that may not get check for proper operation as required by

regulations, it will still not stop stupid actions (failure to monitor,

failure to survey, failure to follow regulations...... etc.) as more

tactfully put by others..  So if the EPD fails, the chirrper fails .....

what next.....

p.s.  I do not subscribe to radsafe.... just the digest.  So this did

not

go out to the general masses.

Best Regards

Fred

************************************

Frederick F. McWilliams, CHP

Deputy Director, Environmental Health and Safety

Reactor Radiation Protection Officer

Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Environmental Health and Safety

Reactor Radiation Protection