Welcome to California

Please remove your radioactive atoms before entering the state.

The California legislature is entering the second major statge of adopting some of the most moronic laws in the history of radioactive materials use.

SB 1444, which requires the demonstration that real property does not have contamination exceeding background, or alternatively not exceeding a total lifetime risk of 1E-6 fatal cancers (with deed restrictions) passed the third reading in the Senate and is now headed to the California Assembly.

SB 2065, SB 1623, and AB 2214, which all propose similarly draconian measures on various aspects of radioactive materials use and disposal, appear to be careening down the track to becoming law in this Golden State as well.

To make matters worse (in a Keystone Cops sort of way), an April 10th Sacramento County Superior Court ruling nullified California's adoption of the NRC's License Termination Rule (the 25 millirem decommissioning rule), leaving a vacuum to be filled by the State Legislature's legendary hot air.

I speak with no authority here.  I speak solely as a simple, unaffiliated physicist and lawyer, when I say, that it appears the regulating authorities in California are laying low on the court ruling, hoping in their heart of hearts, that SB 1444 passes, and they won't have to take responsibility for setting decommissioning limits, nor for having to challenge the court decision.  Inaction appears to be the keystone of Governor Davis' administration.  That's hard for me to say, as I am, as ever, a social liberal, far to the left of the norm, but there appears to be no other excuse for the regulating authorities' utter lack of will in this matter.  Lies in the press, and lies in the legislative briefings go unchallenged.  What other explanation is there but that there is a campaign somewhere, so desperate for dollars or votes that it relies on popular anti-nuclear mythology for support rather than risk letting the public know the truth of the matter,! and allowing the voters a real, honest choice?

SB 1444, the worst of the quartet before the legislature sets a simple, and simple-minded standard, of ZERO radioactivity above background for unrestricted release, using the BEST available technology, and prohibiting any averaging of activity over any "larger area" of potential contamination.

Yes, you heard that right.  Basically, one errant radioactive atom above background, and there's a potential misdemeanor warrant with your name on it.  If you live in California, watch your intake of Brazil nuts, you could be next on their "list."

You are now exiting the Golden State, and may reclaim your radioactive atoms at the border station.

P.S.  Don't even THINK of suing us for not posting melanoma warning signs at the beach.

Yours truly,
Private citizen,
Barbara L. Hamrick