RE: Welcome to California

Carl,

The first thing to do is state in detail the question you wish to answer by doing a gamma scan over a large area. By your last sentence, it appears you want to measure the extent of residual contamination that produces a cancer risk of 1 in 1,000,000. This requires dose modeling, including ingestion of vegetables grown on the land, drinking water from wells, drinking cow’s milk, breathing airborne dust, as well as direct gamma exposure. But this is quite easy using commonly available environmental dose codes.

Then just equate radiation dose to cancer risk using the Linear Non-Threshold theory. (Please, no flames.)

The big problem, as I see it, is determining the depth over which the residual contamination is spread.  For example, does it go down 4 inches of 4 feet? And how is it distributed by depth? The only way I know to determine this is to drill holes and analyze the core samples for radionuclide concentration and also doing down-hole gamma readings. This gets expensive and requires a lot of drill holes.

Regards,

Wes

Wesley R. Van Pelt, PhD, CIH, CHP

Wesley R. Van Pelt Associates, Inc.

Consulting in Radiation Safety and Environmental Radioactivity.

http://home.att.net/~wesvanpelt/Radiation.html

mailto:wesvanpelt@att.net