Re: A question of statistical significance vs operational significance

Tom,

Thanks for your email.

If you read Dr. Alavanaja's letter to the editor of the

American Journal of Epidemiology, you

will see that he attributes this non statistically

significant negative finding to poor retrospective radon

exposure assessment.

 Michael C. R. Alavanja, Jay H. Lubin, Judith A.

Mahaffey, Ross C. Brownson, Am. J. Epidemiol. 2000 152:

895-896.

See also: http://www.cheec.uiowa.edu/misc/rd_review.pdf

Regarding Iowa, the lung cancer rates now mainly reflect

the relatively low smoking rates in Iowa from 20 years

ago or so.

In order to perform a study of NEVER smokers, we would

need to finish up calibrating the glass-based detectors

to use for the study.  It is a matter of sample size and

required power.  We likely could not limit our

inclussion criteria to those who lived in the current

home for 20 years as we did for the original Iowa Study

since it would take too long to recruit subjects.  We

could propose a study with another state or use glass-

based detectors to estimate past radon exposure. In

either case, these studies are extremely exspensive and

it is not easy to get funding for them.

The N. American Pooling of rsidential radon studies

will hopefully be published in early 2003 and will

include a large pooling of never smokers.  I am sure

most funding agencies would like to see this study

published prior to funding any further residential radon

studies of never smokers.

Bill Field