Re: Surviving a Dirty Bomb

One of the paragraphs quoted by Dr. Gawarecki stated:

"Just imagine if Timothy McVeigh had put five pounds of radioactive

material and blew that up in Oklahoma. . . . No more people would have

probably died than did."

Apparently some experts still have some difficulties with radioactive

material quantities and related quantities.  After hearing another "expert"

last fall discuss the horrific consequences if one of the Sept. 11 hijackers

had carried on board a "shoebox containing 10 pounds of Cs-137", I did a

rough calculation of one's life expectancy in proximity to 10 pounds (about

300,000 curies) of Cs-137 and came up with a few seconds .  It didn't get

much longer with shoebox shielding either.

The educational effort obviously still has a long way to go.   I think that

all "experts" contributing to the public debate on this issue should be

asked a few basic questions - like, "What's a half-life?" - before they are

allowed to speak.

[The opinions expressed are solely those of the author.]

Don Jordan

RAM Services, Inc.

ramservices@lsol.net

Tel.: +1-920-686-3889