Re: Surviving a Dirty Bomb

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

Von: Don Jordan <ramservices@LSOL.NET>

An: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu <radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu>

Datum: Samstag, 15. Juni 2002 02:32

Betreff: Re: Surviving a Dirty Bomb

>One of the paragraphs quoted by Dr. Gawarecki stated:

>"Just imagine if Timothy McVeigh had put five pounds of radioactive

>material and blew that up in Oklahoma. . . . No more people would have

>probably died than did."

>Apparently some experts still have some difficulties with radioactive

>material quantities and related quantities.  After hearing another "expert"

>last fall discuss the horrific consequences if one of the Sept. 11

hijackers

>had carried on board a "shoebox containing 10 pounds of Cs-137", I did a

>rough calculation of one's life expectancy in proximity to 10 pounds (about

>300,000 curies) of Cs-137 and came up with a few seconds .  It didn't get

>much longer with shoebox shielding either.

>The educational effort obviously still has a long way to go.   I think that

>all "experts" contributing to the public debate on this issue should be

>asked a few basic questions - like, "What's a half-life?" - before they are

>allowed to speak.

Don,

Great, great, great!

One should not only question the scientific qualification of "anti's"

(though they usually have none, but this should be checked from case by

case), but also the qualification of "pro's"! I have not dared to comment on

this special case, because I have done similar things before and have been

flamed - being arrogant, anti-US etc.  This is the usual method to silence

criticism nowadays....... I think this has no place in the scientific world.

Or has it?

Franz