Re: Epidemiology

Bill,

In case my comments were too subtle and may have shot over you head,

I'll try to explain the points I tried to make in simpler terms:

(1) By applying the approach used in attempting to discredit Bernie Cohen's

Radon studies, one could cast doubt on any or all epidemiological studies,

including the one indicating that smoking causes cancer. In any such study

there may be factors that we are unaware of causing or influencing the

results.

(2) In criticizing such work, the detractors at least ought to offer some

plausable explanation of how or why these factors could have biased the

results.

(3) Similarly, it would be helpful if those performing the study would

suggest a mechanism that might account for the observed results.

Bernie did not suggest such a mechanism--other than to offer the

obvious conclusion that any presumption of LNT is bogus.

(4) Perhaps it is presumptuous of me to do so, but I will suggest a

mechanism to account for the observed results. Maybe, just maybe,

the  inverse correlation between radon levels and lung cancer

incidence  is due to hormetic effect of  radiation causing an increased

immunity to cancer. If hormesis is a valid concept (and I believe it is),

it would  readily explain the observed negative correlation between

radon levels and cancer incidence.     Jerry