California Legislation

Those of you following the California anti-radiation legislation may have noticed that Senator Romero's Senate Bill 1623 (Radiation Safety Act of 2002) has magically turned into Senate Bill 1970.  Why?

SB 1623 was placed on the suspense file by the Senate Appropriations Committee because it would have an excessive fiscal impact on the State.  All senate bills needed to by approved by the various Senate Committees by the end of May and by passed along to the Assembly.  SB 1623 failed to meet this deadline and was therefore in limbo not going anywhere.

Romero had another Bill, SB 1970, on "plastic packaging containers" which had passed through to the Assembly.  She therefore replaced the original wording of SB 1970 with the Radiation Safety Act of SB 1623, and voila ... SB 1623 is reborn as SB 1970 in the Assembly.  She has effectively bypassed the required approval of the Senate Appropriations Committee.

Should we be surprised at the unethical and devious way that our elected representatives act?  I guess not.

Phil Rutherford
mail@philrutherford.com
www.philrutherford.com