Re: CDC: No incr thyr risk w/rad dose at Hanford

>http://www.cdc.gov/od/oc/media/pressrel/r020621.htm

>CDC Releases Hanford Thyroid Disease Study Final Report

>Data Show Risks of Thyroid Disease About the Same Regardless of

Radiation Dose from Hanford

<snip>

>The HTDS study population represents a sampling of people born between

1940 and 1946 to mothers who lived in seven counties in Washington

State: Benton, Franklin, Adams, Walla Walla, Okanogan, Ferry, and

Stevens.

-----------------

Okanogan and Ferry are relatively far north whereas Yakima (I assume that

Hanford is located in southern Yakima), Grant, Douglas and Chelan were not

included in the study. Can anyone explain? Could it be the semi-desert

character - so that there were simply no people to study? If I recall

correctly a few thousand people had to leave the Hanford area when it was

built. The Native Americans in the Grand Coulee Dam area - well - a couple

of black & white pictures where taken before the dam was built in the

1930:ies - but I guess the Natives stayed in the area (because I heard local

community leaders referring to them as a problem a few decades ago).

For a county map - see:

http://www.rootsweb.com/~wagenweb/

My personal reflections only,

Bjorn Cedervall   bcradsafers@hotmail.com