Re: Dr Alice Stewart dies

>In 1986, when she was 80, she received the Right Livelihood Award,

the "alternative Nobel" as it is called, which is awarded in the

Swedish Parliament the day before the Nobel Prize to honour those who

have made contributions to the betterment of society.

----

Alice Stewart should definitely have credit for the work on X-ray

photography during pregnancy and the resulting risk of early cancer. This

was an important contribution to science and a milestone in the field of

radiation protection.

I have however difficulty getting over that she shared this award with

Rosalie Bertell (Bertell often cites Alice Stewart but I have not seen any

reciprocal references). To get some idea - see about 80 % down on the

following site where she comments AIDS & radiation:

http://www.ratical.org/radiation/inetSeries/RB89.html

Or take a look at:

http://www.ratical.org/radiation/NAvictims.html

According to my opinion RB:s contribution to radiation science has mainly

been confusion - I cannot find anything that has to do with science:

Dramatic language about DNA, cells, cancer, future generations etc is the

closest I can find - not in respected radiation journals however.

My personal reflection only,

Bjorn Cedervall   bcradsafers@hotmail.com