RE: HOMELAND SECURITY ISSUES RELATED TO PROPOSED DOT AND NRC REGULATI ONS

Tim, the following is from a co-worker.

"This isn't really a new regulation, there is an old one on the books as

well that makes it very difficult to get rid of old sources that fall into

the Type B quantities.  Remember how I am always pressing the HP's to assure

they get the "certificates" or test results that prove a source has

successfully passed the tests for qualification as "Special Form"?  This is

why, the grandfather clause that covered sources made before 1970 runs out

soon, and I think that occurs with  the changes from IAEA, that DOT are

planning to adopt will end this.  We don't have this problem presently but

the HP's need to be vigilant in getting those documents whenever we receive

a shipment listed as Special Form."

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist