From: Michael Stabin [mailto:michael.g.stabin@vanderbilt.edu]

Sent: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 10:08 AM

To: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Subject: Re: Deadly Waste

> > Looks like all Nevada residents are now doomed.

Actually, all Americans are also doomed. Anyone who may get a medical

examination involving DEADLY radiation is doomed (collective dose in the US

about 130,000 person-Sv per year). Anyone who lives for any length of time

bathed in this sea of DEADLY background radiation is doomed. Anyone who eats

a banana chock full of DEADLY radioactivity (K-40, half-life 1.3 BILLION

years, gamma ray energy 1.5 MILLION electron volts) giving off DEADLY

radiation will be lucky to make it through to the weekend. Just entering a

grocery store, where large quantities of unshielded bananas are routinely

stored, is probably enough to do you in. We need a Chiquita Mountain

project, and soon.

Mike

Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP

Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Vanderbilt University

1161 21st Avenue South

Nashville, TN 37232-2675

Phone (615) 343-0068