Thorium Nitrate

FedEx does accept thorium nitrate.

Note that in IATA/ICAO 2002 that thorium nitrate, solid, UN2976, is no longer

a proper shipping name.  It may be shipped as Radioactive Material, Type A

Package, UN2915 with a Division 5.1 Oxidizer subsidiary risk.

The thorium nitrate may also be shipped as Oxidizing Solid, n.o.s., UN1479,

provided that the package meets the requirements of Radioactive Material,

Excepted Package - Limited Quantity of Material, UN2910 (or UN2909 or UN2911).

Also, Thorium nitrate, solid, UN2976 is not listed as a proper shipping name

in the USDOT Notice of Proposed Rulemaking RSPA-99-6283 (HM-230).  Until that

becomes a final rule, FedEx will accept thorium nitrate, solid, UN2976, but

it may require some coordination.  Shippers should transition to the new

requirements as soon as possible.

Roy A. Parker, Ph.D.

Tel: 225-924-1473

roy@royparker.org

-------------------(Forwarded Archived Letter)--------------------

Good morning all:

I'm trying to ship about 500 grams of Thorium Nitrate (UN2976), but am not

having any success. This is from LA to Boston.

FED-EX says they no longer take this chemical, UPS won't ship it unless one

has a contract with them, which we don't and DHL won't touch it either.  I

haven't tried the USPS yet, so I don't know if they will take it.  Anyone

have any thoughts or answers?  Please let me know.

Thanks,

Ed

Edmond J. Baratta

Radiation Safety Officer