Re: Thorium Nitrate

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

Von: Baratta, Edmond J <EBARATTA@ORA.FDA.GOV>

An: RADSAFE <radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu>

Datum: Dienstag, 16. Juli 2002 14:52

Betreff: Re: Thorium Nitrate

>Good morning all:

>I'm trying to ship about 500 grams of Thorium Nitrate (UN2976), but am not

>having any success. This is from LA to Boston.

>FED-EX says they no longer take this chemical, UPS won't ship it unless one

>has a contract with them, which we don't and DHL won't touch it either.  I

>haven't tried the USPS yet, so I don't know if they will take it.  Anyone

>have any thoughts or answers?  Please let me know.

Hi, Ed,

I am not familiar with US regulations for transport, but might it be, that

the refusals have nothing to do with the radioactive properties of thorium,

but are based on the potentially explosive properties of nitrates? I know

one case, when a Viennese institute wanted to get rid of a large amount of

uranium nitrate. They found a US institute which wanted it, but to ship it

they had to fulfill a lot of conditions, one was to hire a very specially

designed cask from the IAEA. I know that the transport company did not

bother about the uranium, but only because of the nitrate.

I would recommend to contact may the the DOT, people should know there.

There exist international treaties about the transport of dangerous goods,

in which radioactive material is included, so should also be nitrates.

It was nice to meet you again at Marianske Lazne - maybe in fall in

Knowville? I do not know yet, whether I will be able to come. Best regards

also to your wife!

Best regards,

Franz