RE: Cancer clusters

DEar Colleages please calm down

don't panic when a new cluster is published , and don't dismiss a cluster

apriori, it becomes a bad habit. Some clusters are important, and a careful

analysis do  reveal  causation once in fifty years or so...

I am not an epidemiologist but my job keeps me in touch with the

epidemiologist community in Israel (I may say that some epidemiologists are

my best friends...:-)) and with cancer epidemiology.

 It is true that  most epi works consider the alpha to be 0.05. It doesn't

mean that 5% of these studies are false positive - on the contrary. Since

you look for cancer in many sites , every study examine more then 20

parameters and therfore carry agood chnace to find at least one site to be

(falsely) positive (i.e. significant). So I am not surprised that a

research like the one of Chris Busby , found a statistically significant

correlation. I think that a NEGATIVE association , like the association in

the Finnish Nuke workers (Auvinen A et al , CAncer incidence among Finnish

nuclear reactor workers, J Occ Environ Med44:634, 2002) study is much more

meaningful.

Dov  (Dubi)Brickner   MD

Beer Sheva    ISRAEL