RE: Cancer clusters clarification please

-----Original Message-----
From: Kai Kaletsch [mailto:info@eic.nu]
Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 10:14 AM
To: RadSafe
Subject: Cancer clusters clarification please

What is the currently accepted theory behind the leukemia clusters? Is it that they are statistical outliers?

I thought it was that it was viruses introduced by a mobile workforce into isolated communities. I thought the clusters were reproduced in other instances where mobile workers came into stable, immobile communities.

This is not a very pleasant theory. It promotes xenophobia and, to avoid stigmatizing cancer, bacterial and viral causes are not in fashion ("Cancer is not contagious"). It is much easier to blame it on radiation.

Kai

There was a time, not too long ago, when ideas of viral (and bacterial) causation of cancer were out of fashion, but that time is past.  It is well-recognized that Hepatitis C causes some liver cancers, human papillomavirus causes some cervical cancers, and helicobacter pylori is the probable cause of some stomach cancers.  There are lots of other candidates.  Recognition of virally-caused animal tumors goes back about 80 years.

It seems like the idea of infectious causation of leukemia is catching on in the press and among laymen.

Best regards.

Jim Dukelow
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
Richland, WA
jim.dukelow@pnl.gov

These comments are mine and have not been reviewed and/or approved by my management or by the U.S. Department of Energy.