Re: X-Ray Shielding Software

Hi Radsafers:

      This is from:   jpreisig@aol.com   .

      This may be overkill for your problem, but MCNP (Monte Carlo

Neutral Particle Program) can model the shielding of photons, and possibly

X-Rays.  Modelled energy ranges are up to 20 MeV, so the energy should

be no problem.  The MCNP computer code is available through the

Radiation Shielding Information Center (Now RSICC, or whatever it is

called these days) of Oak Ridge National Lab (see the web-site???).

The MCNP code was available for only a fairly reasonable handling charge.

MCNP also models neutron shielding problems.  The modeller (hopefully

you) sets up the problem geometry, so you can model very many problems.

It will probably take several weeks to months to learn MCNP.  RSICC also

has available a wide variety of other shielding computer codes --- ask for

their

catalog.

      I think Microshield can also handle X-Ray problems, but I'm not too

familiar with that product.  MCNP training is available through Los Alamos.

     More questions --- e-mail radsafe????

     Good Luck with your work.

               Regards,                          J.R. Preisig, Ph.D.

P.S.  MCNP can be run on a personal computer.